Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cream of Turkey Soup

I big part of being healthy is eating healthy, so I am going to post a recipe I got of eatingwell.com that I made several times that I enjoy!!!!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/turkey_wild_rice_soup.html

NUTRITION PROFILE:
Low Sodium | High Potassium

VIEW COMPLETE NUTRITION GUIDELINES »
This is a healthier twist on a classic creamy turkey and wild rice soup that hails from Minnesota. Serve with a crisp romaine salad and whole-grain bread.

Makes 4 servings, about 1 3/4 cups each

ACTIVE TIME: 35 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
EASE OF PREPARATION: Easy

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups sliced mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup quick-cooking or instant wild rice (see Ingredient Note)
3 cups shredded cooked turkey or chicken (12 ounces; see Tip)
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup quinoa (try a quarter cup next time)

1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery, carrots and shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.

2. Add broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Add rice and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until the rice is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in turkey (or chicken), sour cream and parsley and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes more.

NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 354 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 87 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrate; 36 g protein; 3 g fiber; 378 mg sodium; 577 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Zinc (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat

My Notes:
-I usually use more veggies than the recipe calls for and I just use a regular cooked chicken breast but not as much as the recipe calls for. I usually use about half as much or less (I am not a big meat eater).
-Also, I've used the rice once and quinoa once. I used 2/3 cup of quinoa last week, which was too much and absorbed a lot of the liquid and it went from soup to sludge
-I eat about 1 cup or 1 1/4 cup for a serving, not the recommended serving.

If you try it, let me know what you think!!

No comments:

Post a Comment